The hydroelectric power plant was built in the beginning of the 20th century, and started operating in 1922, at the hands of "Electra del Lima", a Luso-Castilian consortium. It produced electricity for public and private supply to the cities of Braga, Porto and Gaia, having had, therefore, a central importance in the urban and industrial development of the North of Portugal. It was replaced by the current Alto Lindoso's Dam and is owned by "EDP". It is the largest example of industrial archeology in the municipality. The place of Paradamonte, in the parish of Britelo, was also used as a base camp during the construction of the Alto Lindoso's Dam, so it is possible to see, on site, numerous accommodation and service infrastructures built by "EDP", such as a school, an health center, a vacation camp, a guesthouse, and even a concert hall.